Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Personal PSA...

Happy 2012!

Although we’re a few days in now, I’m feeling so excited for the New Year filled with amazing opportunities and exciting adventures. The slate is clean and the outlook bright. I have so many goals and projects on my dance card, that I can hardly contain my excitement!

Except…

Lately, it’s been hard to maintain focused and positive, when I feel like I’m drowning in…

Negativity!

Despite, my past tangles with Little Miss Pessimist, I have been embracing my inner optimist and feeling good!

Then…

As I leave work after a long day, I walk into the parking garage and see a piece of white paper wedged into my car door. Retrieving it, I read the angry scrawled letters,

“LEARN TO PARK!”

The right tires of my vehicle are barely 6 inches over the line.

Shaking my head at the unnecessary and nasty message from the self-proclaimed parking police, I crumple the note and throw it onto the seat next to me.

Then…

As I lounge, looking for a little entertainment, I am confronted with a Realty TV invasion. The variety is staggering, and each is more humiliating and demeaning than the one before. Participants subjected to bullying by expert judges, the worst moments of human nature celebrated, and genuine heartbreak broadcast in glaring HD.

(I know there are some shows that are inspiring and uplifting, but sadly they are the exception and not the rule.)

Then…

Desperate to escape, I open my laptop, and pull up a recent CNN opinion piece. Written by a fellow working Mom, I can immediately relate to her honest confessions. I identify with her longing, doubts and insecurities. I admire her courage to share her fears with the world. As I finish reading, I scroll down to the comments, and what I find sickens me.

“Stop whining…”
“Who cares…”
“How offensive…”

Nasty comment after nasty comment floods the screen and I am heartbroken for the women who had so sincerely bared her soul.

With the new social media culture and anonymity of the internet, it seems everyone has embraced their inner Playground Bully.

Whatever happened to, “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all”?

When was constructive criticism replaced by name-calling and nastiness?

I completely acknowledge every individual’s right to their opinions and beliefs. I support free expression and the passionate exchange of ideas. I believe that through discussion and debate opposing sides can gain perspective and valuable insights from each other.

But hate, sarcasm, belittlement and patronizing should never enter the conversation.

See, it’s not just that I believe in manners and polite civility.

It’s more than that.

I believe the seemly innocent negativity that begins with a snide comment here and unnecessary judgment there, eventually mutates, grows fangs and turns to sinks its teeth into the creator.

As individuals attacking the weaknesses in others, begin to recognize the same weaknesses in themselves, an unrealistic idea of perfection is formed, leading to the judgments and hate turned inward.

How can they ever achieve their idea of perfection when they are so obviously stupid, ugly, poor, fat, uncool, untalented, uncultured....

Imperfect.

Sound familiar?

Well this year I say ENOUGH!

This year I encourage everyone to eradicate the sources of negativity in your life.

If it’s not constructive, or offering positive feedback, then disregard.

In turn, aim to offer only constructive criticism and support to others.

Don’t allow the negative, bullying culture into your world.

And if the idea that positive actions attract positive outcomes is true…

Then we should all have an amazing 2012!


Pimping the positive vibes,

Mandy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment